[PD] hdsp & pd (again..)

aym3ric stm-sq at bleu255.com
Thu Apr 22 13:25:30 CEST 2004

> > well, of course 64 samples is only the HARWARE latency (and it
> > corresponds to
> > 1.5 ms @ 44100 Hz) ;
> > "2 periods" regards software processing only (correct me if I'm
> > wrong)
> >
> > and here, "2.9 ms (64 smp)" meant : "when I use a buffer size of 64
> > samples on
> > the HDSP, the global latency told by Qjackctl is 2.9 ms"
>
> actually that is what i was talking about:
> when qjackctl tells me that i have a latency of 2.9ms, most users (i
> assume) tend to say: "oh cool, so i get a latency of 2.9ms!!"

*cough* :)
well....
unfortunately, without any extra explanation and having as feedback this
only piece of information, it's quite easy to suppose these values are
the right ones.

Moreover, when you are playing around the settings until you get rid of
any clicks/pops/drops, you also tend to think that the final latency you
have is your actual "real" latency.

> anyhow, the patch i use for latency-measuring can be downloaded from
> our cvs via cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.iem.at:/cvsroot/latency login
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.iem.at:/cvsroot/latency co pd

thanks, i will have a look.

> > sorry for the confusion
>
> me too.

not me !
it helps a lot to understand all these things :)

++
aym3ric.