[PD] using pd with jack / audiotrak maya EX

Matthew Yee-King yeeking at no-future.com
Fri Apr 23 18:13:18 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:56:32AM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Matthew Yee-King hat gesagt: // Matthew Yee-King wrote:
>
> > I have read that it is possible to run pd using jackd with the audiotrak
> > maya ex7, and that you can get 8 channels up on the dac~ object.
> >
> > I have recently acquired a maya EX (has 6 outs, but features a digital
> > optical input unlike the EX7). I cannot seem to convince jackd to work
> > with the card. I guess this might be one for the jack list... but i'm
> > starting here.
> >
> > can anyone tell me if they have used this card with linux/ jackd and pd?
> > what arguments did you use to jackd to get it to run? what jackd and
> > alsa version are you using?
>
> I have used it with Jack and I think, with Pd directly as well, and I
> now own the Terratec Aureon USB, which technically is the same device
> as the Maya EX. If you use Pd you probably should start Pd in alsa
> mode now and use -noadc as I *think* (migth be wrong) that Pd doesn't
> like different numbers of input and output channels.
>
> If you want to record as well you probably need to use Jack. I don't
> remember the exact settings I used, but it did work. I use Jack
> 0.94.0.  Try playing with the settings for --inchannels and
> --outchannels, always use 48 kHz samplerate, try different period
> sizes and counts

Hi

| have now mucked around a bit - the only driver i can use is the OSS
one. I set it to 6 ins and outs and it seems to work (even though there
are only 2 ins) - I get all 6 outputs which is great! Really I don't
mind which driver i use as long as it works... I have built a simple
sampler which has good enough latency with the emulated oss alsa drivers
to be played from midi drums. (if anyone has tried to play a high
latency sampler with midi drums, they'll know what i'm talking about...)

I launch pd with these audio flags:

pd -rt -audiodev 2 -audiobuf 15 -blocksize 64 -inchannels 6 -outchannels
6

The alsa driver seems to be massively over driven for some reason. I
can't get jack to talk to the device. Strange - I had the same problem
with my imic usb audio card and jack.

cheers

matthew