[PD] open source Pd workshops

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 24 23:01:49 CEST 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>   "Yet if Creative Commons is successful, sharing will become even
>   more pervasive. And a lot more money will be made along the way." I
> have the feeling, that CC is in fact about exactly this: Somehow find
> a new big-business-model for a world where lossless digital copies
> already are common (sic!).  I like, that the FSF always was not so
> much about business models but held to that ethics goal of a more free
> society (for programmers).

Well, if there is not enough focus on business models, then, in most
situations, free-software programmers have to get day-jobs, and do the
free-software part as a hobby, if they still feel like it after already
coding proprietary software all day long to pay the rent.

If more time were spent developing business models, free-software would be
much more commonplace and pervasively developed/used than it is now.
Ethics are more often respected when the rules are not too difficult to
apply.