[PD] Error: DSP loop detected (solved + proposed for PD docs)

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Apr 25 23:02:09 CEST 2004

Well, since no one took the bait, I had to figure this one out by
myself. For the sake of future generations, I post the answer to the
riddle here.

derek at x-i.net wrote:
> I'm trying to build a patch which allows the order of a signalprocessing chain
> to be rearanged... for example, to put the delay either before or after the
> reverb. The problem is that when I conect the outlets and inlets of the [pd
> delay] and the [pd reverb] subpatches that I have created together, I get the
> error "DSP loop detected (some tilde objects not scheduled)".
>
> I tried putting [*~ 0] objects in the way, or even running the signals through
> subpatches which can be switched on and off with [block~], but still no dice.

I was warm here, but not hot. The key was to use [send~] and [receive~]
pairs, and somehow this keeps PD from discovering any DSP loops.

Patch is attached, in case anybody else gets stuck with this. Might I
suggest adding this to the PD documentation?

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 180: