[PD] open source Pd workshops

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 26 15:47:57 CEST 2004

Marc Lavallée wrote:

>>another point: except for japanese jurisdiction, the licenses have not
>>been adapted to national laws.
>

> That's good news from Japan, but it doesn't prove that the GPL is invalid
> elsewhere; it was carefully crafted to not require adaptation to national
> laws.

i think pi was referring to the CC-licenses not to the GPL.

>>in fact i am quite sure that they aren't  worth anything in europe. there
>>have been some cases proving that GPL is valid in germany -
>

> Most people don't go to court when violating the GPL, because it's difficult
> to win against it; the NetFilter vs Sitecom case is a good example.

even though probably no-one will go to court when a free-license is
violated, it is still important that there is some legal background .

>>yet it took many years and thousands of files licensed under it to make it
>>"established law" - the situation is different with CC.
>

> I don't see much differences since the CC promote the use of free licenses.
> Are you suggesting to wait many years before using the CC licenses?

not necessarily.
pi just points out, that it took years for the GPL to become established
law. successor-licenses (like CC) will most probably get "established"
much faster.

now the circulus vitiosus is, that the CC will never get "established"
when no-one uses it because it is not "established".

but i do think, that there must be no doubt that the chosen license is
compatible with the documenter's national law - and this includes
(besides japan) of course, the US-law and (which is particularily
important for me) european law. (and of course all the others i have no
time nor knowledge to mention)

>>but maybe it is better to chose a CC license than any more obscure or
>>no at all or an inapplicable (like GPL afaik).
>

> The GPL is very simple: it makes any user not respecting it a counterfeiter.
> It might be difficult to understand (like most licenses), but not to apply.

the question is rather (as i understand it, and i am not an expert with
licensing at all): can the GPL be applied to documentation (read:
articles, manuals,...) at all ? it is not meant for this type of texts,
that is why they have written the GFDL.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes