[PD] more than 2 dac/adc's

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 26 18:27:07 CEST 2004

hi

>>first you have to add your channels at startup as a command line argument.
second, you have to use subjects in your emails...

> I think, this is not quite true. -audio[X]dev tells Pd what "card" to
> use, not what cannels. It's analog to -midi[X]dev which lets you use
correct.
that's what we have "-inchannels" ("-outchannels", "-channels") for.
see "pd -help" for a full list of arguments and what they mean.

furthermore, note that "pd -listdev" does *not* work on linux (probably
under macOS, but i don't know; it does work on windof)

> mididevs actually do work, whereas I never got Pd to talk to more than
> one soundcard reliably.

this depends.
pd can not handle multiple soundcards that provide their own
reference-clock to get the sampling-rate. if you have two (say)
soundblaster-cards, chances are very low that their clocks will be
exactly the same, e.g. one card will be clocked at 44100Hz and the other
at 44098Hz. the 2 cards will get out of sync and after some time you
will get a dac-slip on one of your outputs.

however, some cards can be synced - either by slaving them to wordclock
or some digital audio signal (if they have digital I/O) or via some
special onboard sync-cable (RMEhammerfall-cards have this feature so you
can stack 2 cards)

how else am i supposed to get 48 channels out of my computer (in times
prior to MADI) ?

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes