[PD] Segmentation faults and compiling newest GEM on OSX

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed Apr 28 00:29:23 CEST 2004

On Apr 27, 2004, at 3:06 PM, joseph moore wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> A couple questions and comments.  First I noticed Sara's post
> regarding PDP PD crashes.  While I'm not running PDP much I have been
> getting crashes and simular terminal messages involving segmentation
> faults running PD and PD + GEM.  I'm on OSX Panther/G4 processor.
> I'll post the specific terminal message next time it happens.  Anyway,
> just a heads up on that.

Make sure you have the latest pre-release build of GEM as it corrects
an issue that causes random crashes.  Find the G4 (and soon a new G5)
version here:
http://taproot.dyndns.org/~cgc/downloads/index.html

> Secondly, regarding compiling the newest version of GEM for OSX, could
> someone post a simple how-to?  I'm really inexperienced compiling(it
> took me a week to get PDP working previous to the new installer even
> with the clear how-to written by Sara) so help would be greatly
> appreciated.

The OSX version uses ProjectBuilder files and the ones included in CVS
are not in the most coherent state right now, plus there is no XCode
project at all (I still use PB on 10.3 in fact).  You need a few extra
files and libs like FTGL and freetype and basically just follow the
errors until you get the right versions in the right place.

We haven't done much to make the OSX build process user friendly
because the idea is to provide binaries for the platform in the first
place, and interest in compiling GEM from source has been pretty low -
you're probably the fifth person to even ask.  Is there any particular
reason you want or need to build GEM on OSX?

cgc