[PD] Install Pidip on Planet CCRMA Fedora Core

Nicolas Boillot puredata at fluate.net
Thu Apr 29 00:48:15 CEST 2004

Well thank you derek that make it !

First I download the PD source from  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55736&release_id=144081

And I put it in usr/src , erasing the source I download previously
from Miller Puckette's site  :)

Then I do the CVS trick, getting all the external of PD (including
pipip)

I open configure.ac of the new pidip source and I change the path like
my first try..

First time I try  ./configure the pidip source with the new pd
source it failed, but then I do autoconf and it work perfectly !

Thx again

dh> I know this doesn't help Nicolas immediately, but...

dh> Once again, I renew my plea to include pdp and pidip in Planet CCRMA. If
dh> there is one wierd app to install, it is pidip, simple due to the very
dh> specific libs that Yves requires to run it. And more and more, people
dh> are looking for alternatives to Mac-only shareware or licensed
dh> video-processing or expen$ive Jitter or Auvi licenses, and this deserves
dh> some attention from an entry-level Linux multimedia distro like the Planet.

dh> /rant

dh> To help Nicolas a bit more...

dh> You would be best to make sure you actually have the pd sources. It
dh> looks like you double and tripple checked, of course, but... Where did
dh> you get this pd-0.37-1.src.tar.gz? Possibly from Miller Puckette's site?
dh> [Un/F]ortunately for PD users, there are many many many versions of PD
dh> floating around, and the sources you checked out might not be correct
dh> for what Yves is looking for when he made pidip... he is very
dh> particular, you know... [this is assuming you made the right link in
dh> your configure.ac file... you could also try /usr/src/pd-0.37-1/ with
dh> the end slash, that could always help (???)]. Otherwise, you might want
dh> to check out [+ maybe compile] the CVS version of PD from here:

dh> http://pure-data.sourceforge.net/developer.php

dh> or download a diffferent tarball from here:

dh> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55736&release_id=144081

dh> But, in the long run, if Planet CCRMA wants to support PD in its distro,
dh> then packages of pdp and pidip are essential.

dh> Last chnace, of course, and once you have exhausted you patience with
dh> everything else, is to politely plea to the PD list and see what happens
dh>   next. If Yves is in a good mood, you'll have an answer within an hour. ;-)

dh> good luck,
dh> d.