[PD] maximum length of symbols

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Thu Apr 29 10:56:12 CEST 2004

Roman Haefeli wrote:

>hi
>
>what is the maximum length of a symbol? from what is it depending? is it
>changeable?
>i made 2patches with netclient/netserver(motex):
>in the first patch 40 characters are transmitted.
>in the second only 25.

netserver and netclient (like netreceive) each use a receive buffer that
is 4096 characters long. This should only affect the total length of a
list but not the length of a single symbol. I can't find anything in the
code that is likely to reduce the size of a symbol.
Does the same happen when you use netsend / netreceive or even send /
receive?

Olaf