[PD] Is there a 'switch' object?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Apr 29 14:49:44 CEST 2004

acabrera at teleset.com.co wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm wondering if an object exists that can act as a 'switch'. What I mean is
> that when it is in one state, the signal flow continues in one direction and
> when in the other it goes in another direction, basically deactivating the
> other branch.

yes, pd's [spigot] can "gate" message-flow.
using to parallel (one with inverse logic) [spigot]s will do what you
want. (refer to pd's manual)
another way is zexy's [demux], which demultiplexes one message-stream to
one-of-many branches.

> What I want to do is split a gem list in two, so when the switch is in one
> state one type of processing is done, and another type of process is done when
> the switch is in another state. All this to save cpu, since both processes
> could be placed inline, but would consume too  much cpu.

> I'm thinking specifically of live video processing.
and you can turn on/off most (i'd rather say: all) [pix_]-objects by
simply sending 1/0 to their leftmost inlet (the one, the GemList goes into)

me, i use [demux] for your kind of problem (because of personal likings)

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes