[PD] relative pathnames/ stripping paths

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed May 5 10:49:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, derek holzer wrote:
> Since [strippathname] segfaults for me, does anybody have another idea
> to convert the paths sent by [openpanel] to relative paths, or to strip
> everything but the filename?

As these externals are probably "influenced" by the old stripdir that
was in my library, you might use the original one. Of course if Tom
just copied the code and changed the name it might suffer the same problem
:)

Joking aside.
I had an interesting discussion with Victor Lazzarini at the ZKM this
weekend. We more or less agreed that one problem that causes the
proliferation of externals is that for any mediocre programmer it is
easier to write such an external from scratch than to actually search
for an existing one.

Another problem is that general symbol manipulations are missing.
(e.g something like a "sed" external, which would solve this
and all related problems)

I tried to solve this problem with the CVS and single externals, the idea
was to make sure that not two objects with the same name and only slightly
different behaviour exist, or, the other way round, with different names
and doing the same ...

Anyhow, meeting some of the developers at ZKM too, we found a solution
that we all could agree on. More on that later on the devel list ..

Guenter