[PD] Re: MBox with PD under OSX!

Mitchell Turner mmturner at mindspring.com
Thu May 6 19:46:25 CEST 2004

Nick,
Yes, I did get it to work a while back.  I have not had a chance to
check if these instructions work with the newest DIGI drivers (6.4 I
think) yet, but, I can check tonight.  Hope this helps,
Mitch

Using the Mbox with PD

I think that this is complete.  If not let me know and I'll update it
mmturner at mindspring.com

Three things to load/setup first:
1) Jack
	http://www.jackosx.com/
	setup according to their very good documentation

2) PD compiled with Jack
	Direct link is:
	http://www.meskalina.it/elementicaotici/dev/downloads/pd-0.37-JACK.tgz

	Found on the page:
	http://www.meskalina.it/elementicaotici/dev/jack.html

	You will need to set this up a bit.
		- move the pd-0.37-0-Jack folder to where ever you plan to keep it
		- Inside the pd-0.37-0-Jack directory, run the "PD (launcher)"
			(it may open wish for a second and then wish may close)
		- Go to the Preferences for PD (Launcher) and set the command line
		mine is:
		/Applications/MusicApps/pd-0.37-0-Jack/bin/./pd -jack
		 	the "./" before pd -jack was needed on my system as this bin
			directory is not in my Path
		- Save the Command line, then close the PD (launcher)
3) Plug in your Mbox
	- run the DigiDesign CoreAudioSetup
	- click the supported Applications button
	- click Add New Application button
	- select JackPilot
	- Jack Pilot should be added to the list
	- click Done and then Done

Now the running procedure (do this in the order given):
1) plug in your Mbox
2) launch JackPilot
3) in JackPilot, set the Preferences (in the JackPilot Menu)
	set the Interface drop-down menu to Digidesign HW (MBox)
	click save
4) in JackPilot, click Start Jack
5) launch the PD (launcher) app
	wish should open and it should use the Mbox as your I/O

When you shut down, close Wish and PD Launcher before trying to shut
down JackPilot

Hope this is helpful, please let me know if it works or if I should
change some things in the instructions.
Mitch

On May 6, 2004, at 1:10 PM, Nick Fells wrote:

> Hi, I just wondered if you ever got a satisfactory solution to this
> one? Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick
> ---
>
> Pd list,
> Has anyone figured out how to use PD with the newest Mbox drivers?  I
> recently downloaded the newest coreaudio driver from Digidesign (ver.
> 6.1.1).  I know that there is a Digi Audio setup application in which
> you tell the digi coreaudio driver which applications can have access
> to the coreaudio driver.  (I had to put Max in the list).
>
> How does one do this with an application run from Terminal?  I'm stuck.
>   Any help would be greatly appreciated. PD worked great with the last
> digi driver (vers. 1.2).  I hope this new driver will play nicely.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mitch

Mitchell Turner, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Music