[PD] heavy crash

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 11 09:28:08 CEST 2004

hi.

here comes the lonesome defender of Gem...

Yves Degoyon wrote:
>> yes, you are not alone. But I think it is a GEM problem, and has
>> nothing to
>> do with Yves objects.

i wouldn't have guessed this from martin's email that was explicitly
talking about pd0.37+pdp+pmpd+pidip (i guess (at least: i hope) he would
have mentioned Gem if it were in the list)

> gracias, i couldn't say my objects never ever crash,
> especially when it gets to video processing,

> but i experienced some freezes too with Gem
> with that new kernel 2.6.
>
> it did not use to happen with kernel 2.5 or 2.4.

this is true.
as far asi have tracked it down, it is really (honestly ;-)) related to
QuickTime (and probably the combination QuickTime+openGL ??)
i haven't tried pdp/pidip, but i guess it works ok here.
anyhow, my reference is the "lqtplay"-application that is coming with
the quicktime-utilities (so I haven't written a single line of this
code) and it religiously (as chris would say) freezes with
kernel-2.6(.3) - exactly like Gem.

anyhow, these crashes are normally rather lightweight, as you could just
kill pd and restart. (no keyboard freeze)

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes