[PD] apt-get puredata no gui available

pix pix at test.at
Mon May 17 11:41:00 CEST 2004

(i accidentally mailed this off-list, but it was the solution to the
problem, so i'm just posting it for the benefit of the archive)

i just did a test on my machine and this output seems consistent with
not having the "lo" (loopback) network device set up - this was
mentioned by frank in an earlier post. i've had the same problem with a
debian install before, so here are some verbose instructions on setting
it up.

first test to see if you have the loopback defice. if you have it, the
output of "ifconfig lo" will look like this:

root at oto:~$ ifconfig lo
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:7989 (7.8 KiB)  TX bytes:7989 (7.8 KiB)

note the "UP" on the 3rd line of output.

if you don't see this, then (on debian) add the following two lines to
/etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

the "auto lo" line means that next time you reboot, it will come up
automatically, but to quickly do this without rebooting, run "ifup lo".

now running "pd" should present you with the tk interface we all
lo(v|ath)e ;)

pix.