[PD] Anti-aliasing filter

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Wed May 19 14:32:03 CEST 2004

Hello

> I've got an additive synth which generates some very
> high frequency partials and hence aliasing distortion
> occurs when the fundamental is high enough.
>
> I tried to fix this by using a low pass (lop~) filter
> before the dac. This didn't fix the problem and I
> suspect that lop~ only filters up to about 22kHz. Is
> there a way of implementing a 'brick wall' filter
> which will stop ALL frequencies past a cutoff? (i.e.
> not just frequencies in the audible range)

You can make a 'brick' filter using an FFT transform, but the sound will be
more or less altered (depending on the window size and the overlap you use for
the FFT). I programmed a dual similar filter for adding the low partials of a
sound to the high partials of another sound (the limit is as vertical as
possible). As there was nothing else running in the patch, I could set the
window size to 4096 (for accurate frequency resolution) and the overlap to 16
(for accurate "time" resolution). The problem of this method is that it takes
lots of CPU.

Another solution is to calculate the highest partial that won't produce
aliasing, in function of the fundamental.
If we call F the fundamental, the k-th partial will have a frequency of F + k*F
(if you chose another harmonicity system, you may adapt this formula).
Therefore the maximum number of computable partials of the F fundamental is the
integer part of (22050-F)/F.
For F = 10 Hz, you can compute 2204 partials
For F = 1000 Hz, you can only compute 21 partials
The idea, here, is to limit the number of partials to the maximum (you can
evaluate this maximum in realtime, in function of the fundamental). You can
either mute the partials that outpass the limit (the most simple solution) or
not even calculate them.

I hope it will help