[PD] changing the coding (character set)

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed May 19 16:56:57 CEST 2004

hi Yury

Yury wrote:
> and saw my native symbols in a text editor window (opened by Ctrl+T)
>
> however sending them to a comment object (no matter
> what cyrrilic coding it uses) results in a crush ..

cannot reproduce -- what characters are causing this?  I will
investigate, although comment is basically just a helper to be
used by people importing max patches (try doing so without...)

> you told there is a way to hack pd.tk (?) file
> to force Pd into a proper font.

there are two problems:

1. displaing non-ascii characters in object boxes, including
native Pd comments --

one thing to try is modifying the procedures pdtk_text_new and
pdtk_text_set in the pd.tk file, replacing "-text $text" there
with "-text [encoding convertfrom cp1251 $text]"

2. getting those characters into object boxes --

there is no other reliable way, currently, than typing them
directly into a .pd file in a text editor outside of Pd.

Krzysztof