[PD] PD compile error on Fedora 2

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sat May 22 16:01:54 CEST 2004

Hi,

Just a short note that although the way you solved your problem
leads to a working system, it is not the recommended solution.

First, having libraries in /usr/local/lib means that you have compiled
and installed it by hand, or got it from another source (e.g. not the
Fedora system). It is always preferrable to install software from one
system only. There should be a tcl/tk package in Fedora.

If you have libraries in /usr/local/lib, let them stay there and
update /etc/ld.so.conf, and run "ldconfig -a" so that the dynamic linker
can find the library.
The advantage of this is that you will always know which libraries did
not come from the system (those in /usr/local/lib).

The goal of the whole procedure is to have a manageable system, and
bugs that you encounter can probably be reproduced. This is not possible
if you mix up libraries from different places, and at the end the
only possibility will be to reinstall your system.

Guenter