[PD] pdp pidip and gem died sudenly

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Fri May 28 18:10:40 CEST 2004

hi,

this is a nvidia/debian/linux 2.4.x  issue, i've spent quite some time
figuring out what's wrong and working around it. TLS = thread local
storage btw.

i suppose knoppix and debian are similar enough for this approach to work.
i use nvidia drivers 5336.

try this first:
install linux 2.6
but since that's way from being actually stable, it might not be what you
want. this worked for me but broke other things.

another approach:
rename the directory /usr/lib/tls to /usr/lib/tls-nvidia or something
else. do make sure there are only opengl libs in that dir, then run
ldconfig. this should fix the problem, but might prevent your X server to
start properly.

then to start the X server, do something like:
mv /usr/X11R6/bin/X /usr/X11R6/bin/X.orig

disable setuid by running
chmod -s rename /usr/X11R6/bin/X.orig

and replace X with this script:

--

#!/bin/bash

# workaround for nvidia TLS problem
# removed setuid bit on the X binary to
# make sure LD_PRELOAD works

# this means you cannot start X as a normal
# user. (i.e. using startx)

export LD_PRELOAD=\
/usr/lib/tls-nvidia/libGLcore.so.1\
:/usr/lib/tls-nvidia/libGL.so.1