[PD] inlet numbering

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Mon May 31 16:23:15 CEST 2004

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> which one is the best, counting the leftmost inlet as #0, or counting it
> as #1 ? I ask because I have quite a bit of doc and code in which inlets
> are numbered, so before there's too much of it, i'd like to settle this
> issue.
>
> so i'm looking to know what would be the advantages of doing it one way or
> another, and also, who standardized on calling it #0, and who instead
> chose #1.

By analogy with the 'main' function in c, where argv[0] points to the
full pathname of the program, it would be interesting in pd if inlet 0
were to be reserved for a unique pathname to the object (such as a
'globally unique identifier' or the pointer to the object's own struct),
allowing it to be targeted by other objects just like a [send]/[receive]
pair. Then the visible inlets would be numbered from 1.
Outlet 0 would emit the value of inlet 0.

Martin