[PD] DSP on/off controlled by abstraction

Lex Ein lex_ein at f-m.fm
Wed Jun 2 08:45:50 CEST 2004

How can I get abstraction-based DSP enable/disable to work reliably?

Systems: Win2K Pd 0.37.1, Hans package.  AmdK6/2 350 192Mb RAM, also P1
MMX/233 128Mb

When stopping and starting dsp based on a [metro], this console error
message occurs after the 2nd stop/start cycle:

"waveInAddBuffer: Cannot perform this operation while media data is
still playing. Reset the device, or wait until the data is finished
playing."

The [delay n] time doesn't seem to matter.  With [delay 1000] the error
occurs the 2nd time dsp is turned on, and each time from then on.  With
[delay 2000] it occurs at about the 6th time, and so on.

I can stop and start using the "compute audio" checkbox as fast and as
frequently as I like; never a problem.  Same is true with [; pd dsp $1]
messages, when performed manually.