[PD] matrix/array question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 2 22:15:40 CEST 2004

Hallo,
folio.function.modification.implement at xoxy.net hat gesagt: // folio.function.modification.implement at xoxy.net wrote:

> Thankyou Frank for the reply/patch. I thoughtmatrix (without the ~)
> might be useful in an rfft filter of some sort (or a similar set up
> with another object that spits out lots of values) but it isn't clear
> to me how to glue the bits together.

Both matrix objects do calculations on matrices, that is, on grids of
x*y values. They can be very useful for transformations of vectors,
for example you can rotate 3d-vectors by an angle and calculate that
with a rotation matrix. You also could of course use them to compute
certain things on 2-dimensional lists like you get in fft. If you read
a bit on the underlying matrix math you will surely get lots of ideas.
If those can be made into sonically useful applications is another
question. I really like to use the signal matrix~ in mixer-like
applications, for routing purposes or adjustable effect-sends. I
seldom use the float matrix, though. They surely will be interesting
in physical modeling stuff, as physicists have to deal with matrices
*everywhere*.

Ciao