[PD] how to compile pd externals in MacOSX?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Jun 3 15:27:23 CEST 2004

For just about any program that compiles in a standard way [i.e. is not
based on Python or some other scripting language than C or some varient
of C], usually this works:

./configure
make
make install

if this doesn't work, first open the README or INSTALL file, whic gives
you further instructions.

if you get errors when you ./configure or make, the next thing to do is
open and edit the Makefile * **. The lines with # at the front are
comments, and tell you important things! For PD externals, most of them
will need to know the path to the PD sources [so you better download
them!], some will want to know specifically where a file called "m_pd.h"
[or something like that!] is located. Others which require different
libraries [such as GEM, PDP, etc] will need to know the paths to these
dependency libraries.

Use "find / -name foo -print", where "foo" is the name of the library
you are looking for, to locate these dependencies. YOu should probably
look into Fink, if you haven't already, as an easy way to install all
these different libs if you need them.

good luck,
d.

* Note: be careful with which app you use to edit your makefiles! Some
of them can mess up the spacing.

** Note to list: Does anybody here know offhand which is the safest OSX
text editor for newbies? Is Pico alright? I'm not sure myself...

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 143: