[PD] inlet numbering

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 3 18:58:24 CEST 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Martin Peach wrote:

> By analogy with the 'main' function in c, where argv[0] points to the
> full pathname of the program, it would be interesting in pd if inlet 0
> were to be reserved for a unique pathname to the object (such as a
> 'globally unique identifier' or the pointer to the object's own
> struct), allowing it to be targeted by other objects just like a
> [send]/[receive] pair. Then the visible inlets would be numbered from
> 1. Outlet 0 would emit the value of inlet 0.

Let's compare with jMax... it numbers its visible inlets from 0 to
n-1. Then inlet -1 (aka SystemInlet) is the invisible one. jMax does not
have an "; objectmaker", and instead relies on a method "init" defined for
inlet -1 of a class. Similarly, the free-function and the
save/properties/gui functions are all defined in inlet -1.

I suggest that in your proposal, inlet 0 would be that special inlet, and
so instead the pathname/pointer would be given by a method (of inlet 0)
called "self" or something.