[PD] midi + jack fails, oss to the rescue...[?]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jun 5 17:38:35 CEST 2004

Hallo,
derek holzer hat gesagt: // derek holzer wrote:

> just realized that MIDI input to PD only works for me via OSS.

I can use midi with -alsa and -jack as well. However Pd wants rawmidi
devices, not the ALSA sequencer, so you should make sure, that ALSA's
OSS compat. modules are loaded for midi as well (snd_seq_oss) and you
need the /dev/midi* devices.

> That means that if I try to run PD with Jack, none of my MIDI
> devices can be found. Is there a reason for this? I am using a
> relatively recent CVS version of PD. Does this have anything to do
> with the grudge against ALSA that PD seems to have picked up as of
> late? Or is there some kind of trick with my alsa configuration that
> I have missed [alsa.conf posted on request]?

No, you don't need any alsa.conf magic at all.

> Starting with -mididev $anything fails to work with jack, starting
> with -alsa segfaults [again... I once had this fixed... sigh!], and
> everything seems to work fine only with these dinosaur OSS drivers.
> Ugh!

Both -jack and -alsa shouldn't affect midi operations at all. In any
case Pd will (should) look for /dev/midiXX where XX is one less then
what was specified on the -mididev command line. (-mididev 2 =>
/dev/midi1, -mididev 21 => /dev/midi20, ... )

What does pd -verbose tell?

Ciao