[PD] CCRMA summer workshops in the Canadian Rockies

Scott Wilson rswilson at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 7 20:59:35 CEST 2004

Hello pd users,  I would like to pass on some information about a
series of summer workshops that may be of interest to you.  These are
the annual CCRMA summer workshops, but held in a spectacular setting at
the Banff Centre for the Arts in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.

Pd figures prominently in the physical interaction design workshop I
will co-teach with Michael Gurevich and guest lecturer Bill Verplank.
On the agenda are interaction design theory and philosophy, basic
electronics, microcontrollers, communications (open sound control and
MIDI), and pd programming.  The ensemble will give students a starting
point to creating their own music controllers and interactive musical
experiences.

The third week, Haptic Musical Devices builds on the first two, giving
a hands on introduction to building force-feedback devices.

Those of you who are interested in synthesis, digital audio effects,
Audio compression, or signal processing in general will be interested
in the excellent Digital Signal Processing series in the second half of
the workshops.

More information is available here:
http://www.banffcentre.ca/ccrma/

The original announcement from the Banff Centre is attached below
including dates and faculty.  For more information please contact me or
the banff centre at the address below.

Best Regards,

  scott wilson

CCRMA at Banff Summer Workshops 2004

The Banff Centre and Stanford University welcome CCRMA (Centre for
Computer Research in Music and Acoustics) to Banff this summer for six
intensive programs where top educators and researchers from the fields
of music, engineering, and computer science will present a detailed
study of specialized subjects in an awe-inspiring setting.

The CCRMA at Banff Programs Include:

- Physical Interaction Design for Music (July 5 - July 16)
   Faculty: Scott Wilson, Michael Gurevich
   Guest: Bill Verplank

- Haptic Musical Devices (July 19 - 23)
   Faculty: Charles Nichols
   Guest: Perry Cook

- Digital Signal Processing I: Spectral & Physical Models (July 26-
August 6)
   Faculty: Perry Cook, Xavier Serra

- Perceptual Audio Coding (August 9 - 13)
   Faculty: Marina Bossi
   Guest: Richard Goldberg

- ANET: High Quality Audio over Networks Summit
   (Aug 20-22)
   Faculty: Chris Chafe, Theresa Leonard

- Digital Signal Processing II: Digital Audio Effects  (August 16 - 27)
   Faculty: Jonathan Abel, Dave Berners
   Guest: Julius O. Smith

About Music & Sound Programs at The Banff Centre:
Music & Sound programs are dedicated to supporting emerging and
mid-career artists and to providing personalized
artistic direction suited to each participant. The goal is to nurture
the creativity of musicians and audio engineers in a setting that
allows for maximum personal artistic development and interaction with
other musicians and artists in The Banff Centre community. Music &
Sound alumni are found on concert stages and in professional positions
nationally and internationally.

Register now to ensure space, as availability is limited.

For more information and to register, visit:
http://www.banffcentre.ca/ccrma

e-mail: arts_info at banffcentre.ca
call: 1.800.565.9989 or 403.762.6180