[PD] Pd on Mac OS X

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 8 11:57:30 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Pedro Carneiro hat gesagt: // Pedro Carneiro wrote:

> Re: Indeed, although linux is still rather scary for me.

It is to everyone. ;) That's part of the fun.

> I have some basic knowledge and run a debian server with TWIGGI (
> http://www.twiggi.org/ ), but have long been used to the mac os (11
> years now). I have tried yellow dog linux on a imac, but it was
> really slow. What distro of linux would you recommend for audio?

I really don't know much about PowerPC-Linux. Personally I run Debian
for years now, and at the Linux Audio Conference I saw at least one
Powerbook that was running Debian as well (the one of Stefan
"Supercollider" Kersten), so it is at least possible to make Debian
work on a Mac.

Debian testing/unstable includes a hell of a lot of audio
applications, and sooner or later Agnula/Demudi will merge their
packages into it, then you will have even more of a choice. Other
people I know use Gentoo on PPC. Personally I don't like waiting so
much for something to compile, so I'm not very keen of Gentoo. If I
want to compile a package I can built with Debian's apt-get easily as
well.

So if you already have Debian experience, then I'd suggest you stay
with it. As soon as you have learned the package tools for a
distribution (and decided on a favourite editor) they are pretty much
the same.

Ciao