[PD] Pd on Mac OS X

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 9 05:56:41 CEST 2004

On Jun 8, 2004, at 6:57 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Pedro Carneiro hat gesagt: // Pedro Carneiro wrote:
>
>> Re: Indeed, although linux is still rather scary for me.
>
> It is to everyone. ;) That's part of the fun.
>
>> I have some basic knowledge and run a debian server with TWIGGI (
>> http://www.twiggi.org/ ), but have long been used to the mac os (11
>> years now). I have tried yellow dog linux on a imac, but it was
>> really slow. What distro of linux would you recommend for audio?
>
> I really don't know much about PowerPC-Linux. Personally I run Debian
> for years now, and at the Linux Audio Conference I saw at least one
> Powerbook that was running Debian as well (the one of Stefan
> "Supercollider" Kersten), so it is at least possible to make Debian
> work on a Mac.
>
> Debian testing/unstable includes a hell of a lot of audio
> applications, and sooner or later Agnula/Demudi will merge their
> packages into it, then you will have even more of a choice. Other
> people I know use Gentoo on PPC. Personally I don't like waiting so
> much for something to compile, so I'm not very keen of Gentoo. If I
> want to compile a package I can built with Debian's apt-get easily as
> well.
>
> So if you already have Debian experience, then I'd suggest you stay
> with it. As soon as you have learned the package tools for a
> distribution (and decided on a favourite editor) they are pretty much
> the same.

I use Debian/PPC on my PowerBook G4 800 and its quite a bit faster than
MacOS X.  Currently, the only thing I really use Debian for on my
PowerBook is for running my instrument:

http://at.or.at/hans/stickmusic/

It works very well for that, very reliable.  While Debian is really
great for those who dig into their OS, its not so friendly for novices.
  It is definitely very user friendly, but only if that user is an
experienced UNIX or GNU/Linux person.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste