[PD] readsf~ harddisc access [denormals once again]

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue Jun 15 14:02:43 CEST 2004

> Yes, you should certainly try the devel_0.37 and see if it helps you
> out. Dealing with denormals is quite difficult, and Intel has no plans
> to correct this problem any time in the future, so either people have
> to not buy Pentium processors for audio work, or programmers need to
> account for this problem in their code. Since a lot of programmers I
> know don't have a P4 handy to test on all the time, it makes it
> difficult. Trust me, PD is not the only program which suffers from
> denormals.
there are some ways to avoid denormals ... one of them is using the simd
instructions that are said to help ...
i'm still experiencing denormal problems with steve harris's ladspa
plugins ...
if you are planing to buy a new processor for audio, stay away from
intel...

btw, i don't know if this makes sense, but when used a suse linux on my
machine a year ago, i could use some tools, that i can't use on my
gentoo system any more (e.g. steve harris's flanger) i don't know what
might cause that (it's not related to a difference in compilation ... i
tried the same binaries) maybe suse is doing some fancy stuff with their
glibc ... i'm still confused by that...

cheers...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,