[PD] readsf~ harddisc access [denormals once again]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Jun 15 13:22:03 CEST 2004

Tim Blechmann wrote:
there are some ways to avoid denormals ... one of them is using the simd
> instructions that are said to help ...
> i'm still experiencing denormal problems with steve harris's ladspa
> plugins ...

Tom Szilagyi is going through some serious work on his TAP plugins for
exactly the same reason. He never tested them on Pentium before.

> if you are planing to buy a new processor for audio, stay away from
> intel...
> btw, i don't know if this makes sense, but when used a suse linux on my
> machine a year ago, i could use some tools, that i can't use on my
> gentoo system any more (e.g. steve harris's flanger) i don't know what
> might cause that (it's not related to a difference in compilation ... i
> tried the same binaries) maybe suse is doing some fancy stuff with their
> glibc ... i'm still confused by that...

What is SuSE's exact position on licenses? Not to open this box one more
time for theoretical squabbling, but I wonder if they have cribbed
something from the Intel compiler?

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl