[PD] GEM: graphics cards?

patrick patrick at 11h11.com
Thu Jun 17 18:49:02 CEST 2004

> I have since been completely unaware of development on the graphics
> cards front, but since most of my graphics needs are for GEM, I tought
> I'd ask here if anyone could recommend good recent cards that can drive
> two CRTs monitors (e.g. TwinView in the NVidia world) and has good
> openGL acceleration (for GEM performance.)

i have a fx5600xt (nvidia) but i get lower result with glxgears :

with my ati 9500 pro :
around 5000 FPS

with my fx5600xt :
1300 FPS

on the other side, i don't think that ATI cards support anti-aliasing (FSAA
1,2,4). nvidia does. and finally, i never been able to extend my windows
manager to use the other monitor. i've only been able to add a second head
(DISPLAY=:0.1). so no 2d or 3d acceleration (XV) on the second head for me.

patrick