[PD] Was there a change in how MIDI is transmitted ????

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Mon Jun 21 10:55:53 CEST 2004

jim ruxton wrote:

> I've built a few devices that accept MIDI as a control signal and they
> don't work with the latest version of PD. I'm not sure but it looks to
> me like where a ctlout object used to send  Channel , Controller Number
> , and Control Value  it is only sending channel information if there is
> a channel change. This makes a lot of sense I guess to save bandwidth.
> First of all could someone confirm that this is what is happening .

yes, pd, like most recent midi software does not send the 1st (status)
bit if it's the same than the one one the previus message.
it's conform to midi specification. (look at "running status" on google.)

>It
> would be a hassle for me now to rewrite all the firmware in these
> devices. They are all waiting for channel data each transmission.  I'm
> not sure when this change in PD happened or whether it is something else
> that is going on. Everything seems to work for me under PD 0.34.4 in
> Windows but 0.37 under Linux is where I'm having problems.
> If indeed
> Channel Number is only transmitted when it changes is there an easy way
> to send it with every transmission till I get a chance to reprogram all
> my devices.  Thanks!

if bandwidth is not a problem, you can send a note on befor each ctlout
message. This will force pd to send the 1st bit everytime.

hope that help

cyrille