[PD] shell bug

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 21 12:07:21 CEST 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, marius schebella wrote:
> hi,
> I tried the shell object for windows from
> http://whats-your.name/pd/extra/shell/ and found some strange behaviour.
> When I try to edit (for example drag around) the object, the text gets
> seperated from the object box borders and is converted to a simple comment
> or a message.
> (see jpeg for details).
> marius.

Hi Marius,

In order to get feedback I think it is important to send such bug reports
to the authors of the externals, and not only to the list. (I just read
this "by chance").

Sometimes people just do not have the time to read all the messages on
the PD list.

Anyhow, theres another point that I want to make.
The buggy external is named very "similar" to one that I wrote. I think
in a free software community like PD I should at least have been informed
about the existence of it.

I am not saying this because I am worried that people copy my code or
ideas (which, in fact is great, because it tells me that they are
worth something).

I am saying this because I think it is important for the PD developers
to work to TOGETHER, instead of against each other.

Maybe, if the author of the windows shell external would have tried that
we would have a working cross platform "shell" object now.

One thing that is for sure is, that I wouldn't be angry on him :) Think
about it.

Guenter