[PD] PD for Audio Manipulation/Mangling

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Jun 23 16:48:13 CEST 2004

John Potter wrote:
> Should I want to check out PD or MSP for the learning experience does
> one work better than the other for this sort of application?

My own evolution was from Audiomulch to Reaktor to Pure Data. I saw it
as a process of "growing out" of each software's limitations and on to
the next. I use PD largely for realtime manipulation of incoming audio
and samples, and I can say that it is very well suited for the purpose,
provided you are willing to do some work and even learn a few new things
to get there.

In terms of audio processing, MSP and PD are virtually identical. [The
fcat that one is a commercial development of the other might have
something to do with that.] I would say that main difference is in the
level of Do-I-Yourself which comes along with PD. In MAX/MSP, there are
a lot of ready mades which might get you going a little faster, but
these ready-mades are also often "black-boxes" which you cannot see or
change the internal workings of. On the other hand, in PD you will spend
more time developing patches from low-level objects up, but you will
gain a better understanding of how they work and will be able to
customize them completely for your own needs and sounds. In other words,
you won't just be fiddling with someone else's sliders.

good luck,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl