[PD] PD for Audio Manipulation/Mangling

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 23 18:52:05 CEST 2004

Hi John,

John Potter wrote:

 > Awesome - thanks for the insight.

Pd is the best of all of them.

(This is a pd-list, so this has to be said at least once. ;) But I
also do believe it in general, although of course Pd has its own
bag of problems.)

 > DSP is an area that interests me and I thought PD & Max would be a
 > great place to start as you have a something to start with and then
 > can move on in terms of writing externals and ultimately write
 > something from scratch if I decide to.

I would suggest you start to use Pd for a while. No one here can tell
you what you will like, so actually using one of these software
packages is your best bet to find out what will fit. Pd doesn't cost
anything, the base package is rather easy to install. You could get
evaluation packages of the other tools.

I tried a lot of software before settling on Pd for more or less good.

 > Any of these - PD, Max/MSP, Audiomulch support something like
 > rewire?

Rewire is only available for commercial software, so no, Pd or
Suppercollider will never support it. As Derek pointed out, Jack is a
superior solution anyways. But doesn't run ond Windows, though, only
Linux and OS-X (and maybe some other *nixes)

--
  Frank Barknecht