[PD] PD for Audio Manipulation/Mangling

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Thu Jun 24 02:33:21 CEST 2004

John Potter wrote:

> Around a year ago I was looking into PD, MAX/MSP, Supercollider, CSound,
> DSP in general etc. after playing with modular synths and synths w/
> large modulation matrixes for a couple years.  Kind of dropped all that
> and picked the guitar back up for a while.  Thinking about getting back
> in to it but primarily from the perspective of realtime audio effects –
> reverb, phasing, distortion, ring modulation, vocoding, gating, and 100
> different things I’m sure you can think of (as opposed to creating a
> completely virtual instrument).
>

> How does PD stack up against MSP in that regard?  Is there something
> else I should be looking at?  Another thought is picking up a Nord Micro
> Modular but that wouldn’t necessarily preclude the PD/MSP route.

I used MSP for three years until the the OS 9 version was obsolete and
virtually useless. It's good. It's expensive. Very expensive considering
PD exists.

I'm using PD now and it's very good, if not a little unpredictable. I'm
working on a patch for live performance with 4 one minute delay lines
for my piano + JACK'd I/O to a FFT application (freqtweak) for voice.

I'm doing the development mostly on OS X but the Linux box has the fat
gigahertz so that's the target platform. I'll post the patch once it's
stable enough to show to strangers  :)  I guess the best example of how
a program works is to actually see it working.

Oh, and on the latency tip, I'm getting 11ms with a 1.8ghz Athlon XP,
1GB RAM + M-Audio 1010-LT sound card. 2.4 kernel. No dropouts, can't
notice a difference at the fastest speed my fingers can move.

-lee