[PD] linux/ppc music distro

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Jun 24 11:02:24 CEST 2004

Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:

> i would like to try linux on my powerbook.. i like the looks of those
> specialized music distros like demudi.  my experience is mostly with
> debian... is there anything like demudi for ppc?  does anybody have any
> tips for me while i take the initial plunge?

Nothing like Demudi for PPC yet. Honestly, a Gentoo-based live CD with
audiosofts for PPC is in the works, somewhere on the backburner of my
brain. Just haven't had time to get into it ;-)

If you like challenges, I would say that Gentoo for PPC might be a way
to go. There are some tricks to getting all the software emerged [and
I'd be happy to give explicit pointers if that's the way you decide to
go], but in general almost all the audio applications you would want are
in the Gentoo Portage system.

Others might suggest Debian, which of course is fine as well. Just a bit
different [and frustrating in its own ways as well ;-) ] I don't know
how much audio software has been packaged for PPC in Debian, but I know
one plan was to merge as much of Demudi as possible into Debian unstable
  eventually. Of course, those packages are for x86 architecture...

Besides all that, you could look at Mandrake or Yellow Dog, but both are
kind of icky and corperate-feeling, and espc Yellow Dog has gotten as
much complaints as praise AFAIK.

good luck,
d.

--