[PD] linux/ppc music distro

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 25 11:12:28 CEST 2004

A good source for knowing about what officials Debian packages are
available for your architecture is packages.debian.org

e.g. when you go to
packages.debian.org/puredata you will get this:
Package puredata

    * testing (sound): realtime computer music and graphics system
      0.37.cvs-13: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390
sparc
    * unstable (sound): realtime computer music and graphics system
      0.37.cvs1-4: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390
sparc

This means Pd is available for alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel
powerpc s390 and sparc architecture. You might do the same with other
packages that you are interested in:

packages.debian.org/supercoolider

Package supercollider

    * testing (sound): realtime sound synthesis server and network
language interpreter
      040513-2: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390
sparc
    * unstable (sound): realtime sound synthesis server and network
language interpreter
      040513-2: alpha arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390
sparc

I bet most  of the things you are looking for are already there.
The only thing that can not be guaranteed is that it actually works.
This mostly depends on the upstream authors and not on the distro.
This means whatever distro you choose, if you  encounter a problem
*report* it (to the author and to the packager, if you don't know where
the problem comes from).
This is the only way that problems can get fixed and linux/ppc can get as
stable as the i386 version.

Guenter