[PD] fluid~ segfault (was: Fluid - shared soundfonts)

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Sun Jun 27 22:22:26 CEST 2004

Larry Troxler wrote:

> A while ago, I was working on a modification to the fluid~ object which would
> allow multiple fluid~ instances to share soundfont images, rather than having
> to load multiple copies. My personal reason for this was that I have a large
> piano soundfont, and I was thinking of post-processing each individual note
> seperately, and one way of doing this would be to employ multiple fluid~'s
> and have a routing mechanism (like poly) in front of them.
>
> I ran into a roadblock in the fluid API in the course of developing this, but
> now the fluid API has been enhanced to allow this.

I hadn't heard of Frank's fluid~ external until now. I ran to the Linux
box to download and install it. I'm running pd-0.37.1 freshly compiled
from Gentoo portage on an Athlon-XP. PD is running with no other
external libraries and in jack mode. I run the fluid~ binary with DSP
off...loads fine. I load a 200MB soundfount. Loads fine. I turn DSP on...

segfault...

I install flext from the sourceforge external collection and compile
fluid~ myself. I run the freshly compiled version and...

segfault...

I check my fluidsynth version. 1.0.1, looks like there's an update to
1.0.3. I install the update and recompile fluid~. I run fluid~ the same
as before and...

segfault...

running out of ideas. I'm a beginning C coder and a friend told me about
strace for C debugging. I run strace on pd the same as above. Looks like
it kills itself at this system call:

recv(4, "pd dsp 1 ;", 815, 0)           = 10
... GUI timing events
send(4, "set pd_whichapi 5\n", 18, 0)   = 18
...GUI timing events
send(4, "pdtk_pd_dsp ON\n", 15, 0)      = 15
...many more GUI timing events
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Frank and Larry, what system are you running/developing fluid~ on? You
work around any problems to get it stable? I'd like to help debug this
in any way I can because this would bring my entire live set up together
into a PD patch.

Here's my detailed specs for the uber-curious:
Athlon-XP 2200
1GB RAM
Gentoo Linux (default-x86-1.4, gcc-3.3.2, glibc-2.3.2-r9, 2.4.23-ck1)
Pd version 0.37.1
compiled 13:18:01 Jun 27 2004
fluidsynth 1.0.3
flext from pd-externals-20030311