[PD] dual screen setup

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Tue Jun 29 18:51:40 CEST 2004

First, thank you for answering quickly.

>> I'm working on an artistic project where I want to project video and
>> others things on two projectors. I use Gem on OS X to deal with the
>> video. What I would like to do is to span a single Gem window on two
>> screens.
>
> ...this is something we'd all like to add in the near future, but it's
> not there atm...or maybe I'm not reading your request right:  you
> could always mirror the displays and show one window on all
> outputs...or, you may be able to create a spanning window, as long as
> both displays had the same pixel format/bit depth/etc...

I tried that (same pixel format, bit depth, etc...) and it doesn't work
for me.

>> Actually it is not possible to do that in Gem/PD on OS X but it is
>> possible to do it in Gem4Mac (http://gem4mac.sourceforge.net/).
>> Unfortunately I have others problems when working with Gem4Mac
>> (pix_film doesn't seem to work properly). I was wondering if it could
>> be possible to merge the code for the window from gem4mac into the
>> code of Gem/PD to make this thing possible ? Or if there's an other
>> way ?
>
> ...Gem4Mac was one of the initial inspirations for me when I started
> porting gem to OSX, but it wasn't terribly helpful because it is
> really mired in OS9 era api's (and many things about it were never
> finished, plus it's been abandoned, support-wise)...so with the move
> to OSX windowing/opengl api's, the code just isn't applicable :-(

I don't want to correct you, but I think that gem4mac is still alive.
The last update is from 2004.6.17, less than two weeks ago. Also the
code is mostly carbon/opengl base so it is suppose to work in os X. And
some parts works well. I can create a window (and span it across two
displays), render a primitive and rotate it, change color, etc... But
has I say, there's some problems with other parts (pix_film). Also Mr.
Hirai, the authors, use the latest Gem sources from the CVS to build
it. Maybe you should take a look at it !

> Don't loose all hope, because it is possible, just not until someone
> takes the time to hack it out...

Actually, I'm looking for someone who could do it...

Thanks

Etienne