[PD] access to pd internals from pd patch oder so ähnlich

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Tue Jun 29 23:45:57 CEST 2004

OK, the following is a bit complicated and maybe somewhat futile but
I'm curious:

As some might recall I have this embedded music computer called the
gluiph which is powered by pd. Currently patches are uploaded thru a
serial link.
First I did this thru a simple utility, but as it got tedious to
constantly switch between apps I wrote the uploader as a pd patch
itself (initially using [comport], now thru [pyext].pyserial). This
works fine.

The next step was to avoid switching between the uploader patch and the
"real" one.
For this I added a (menu+shortcut) command to pd.tk that tells the
(background) uploader patch the name and path of the current top patch,
so it can read it from disk and transfer it to the gluiph. This works
too.

However, I'd prefer to have a solution that would do this w/o the pd.tk
mod - any ideas ?

Additionally, I'd be curious to know if it's possible to access a
running pd patch directly (as binbuf or text) so I wouldn't have to
save it first before loading it in again for the transfer.
Of course it's possible by modifying the source and/or the tcl/tk stuff
(done that) but I wonder if it can be done from a (second,
"background") pd patch.

(Future: transfer the patch after every editing step, so the running
patch on the gluiph always reflects what you have on screen)

hope this makes sense
thanks,
Sukandar

Sukandar Kartadinata      artist-in-residence im Podewil
www.glui.de                                [atelier 412]
www.sukandar.de/musik                       Sensor Labor
+49-30-44051219                          +49-30-21461162