[PD] PD file format specs?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 30 03:23:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Tjeerd Sietsma wrote:

> I'm curious what the specifications of the PD file format look like.
> Puckette has already posted *something* in 2001 about the connect rules,
> and stated that the rest of the specs are undocumented. Is there someone
> who has figured out already what the rest of the fileformat means?
> Of course it looks quite simple, but I want to make sure there are no
> mistakes from my side.

"#N canvas" starts a new canvas (patcher or subpatcher or graph)
"#X restore" ends that canvas (subpatcher or graph)
"#X coords" = graph properties

"#X text" = Comment (Ctrl+5)
"#X symbolatom" = Symbol (Ctrl+4)
"#X floatatom" = Float (Ctrl+3)
"#X msg" = Message (Ctrl+2)
"#X obj" = All other kinds of objects

"#X connect [from] [outlet] [to] [inlet]" where boxes (objects etc) are
numbered starting with 0 within a patcher; inlets/outlets are also
numbered starting with 0, so the leftmost inlet is 0.

"#A" is for saved array data

anything else you need to know?

I'm not aware of an up-to-date specification, though I recall seeing a
very old one written during the very early versions of Pd maybe.