[PD] PD for Audio Manipulation/Mangling

Stefan Tiedje Stefan-Tiedje at addcom.de
Wed Jun 30 11:59:16 CEST 2004

  derek holzer wrote:

>> Any of these - PD, Max/MSP, Audiomulch support something like rewire?
>

> This is where Linux comes in! Under Linux, you have a system called
> Jack-Audio-Connection-Kit, which routes audio signals between clients
> in the same way that ReWire does, but which is not closed and
> proprietary [thus expanding the possible applications which can work
> with it]. It is compatible with Portaudio on the Mac as well, although
> I haven't met anyone who has gotten JACK working there yet. But under
> Linux it is stable and runs like a dream!

Jack does run on OS X (at least the last time I needed it, it worked
without problems) Only if you need to run ProTools it is of no use,
because Digidesign is using its hardware as copy protection and
therefore has its own closed box (terrible) drivers.  Max does rewire
(at least the upcoming 4.5 version) and can talk to ProTools that way.
You can even turn max patches into Plugins which run in ProTools or any
other plugin host.
I still wait to see Ardour running on OS X as an alternative, because
Digi desperately seeks an open source competition ;-)

I don't want to promote Max here on the PD list too much, but I am still
struggling with PD and I am just more used to Max out of my history. For
somebody to dive in newly, PD might be the better choice if you accept
the installation hassle and the knowledge overhead necessary for dealing
with more OS specific problems in exchange for a free software solution.
Both share a great and supporting community and should get you going.

Stefan

--

 [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

        Stefan Tiedje          Klanggestaltung
                               CD-Mastering
           /~~~~~\             Elektronische
    \\\   /|() ()|\             Komposition
    ))))) )|  |  |( \\\        & Improvisation