[PD] [100MHz]Pd Linux MIDI

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Jun 30 20:48:21 CEST 2004

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net wrote:

> I have an old Pentium 1 MMX 100 MHz laptop that I would like to use for MIDI
> controlling with Pure Data under Linux. Is it possible ? I'm afraid the Tcl/Tk
> GUI will be very slow

You could run PD --nogui and that would probably solve to problem. Then
control remotely via netsend/recieve or OSC. Or even try it with the GUI
and see what happens. Trick would be to use a super-light window manager.

> Also, which Linux distribution would you install ? I currently use PlanetCCRMA
> RH on my desktop computer

Stripped down Debian or Gentoo. Blackbox or fluxbox window manager,
maybe something even lighter.

> Maybe using a classic MIDI sequencer would be better ...

No sense in not trying! I think it's a fine idea.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 75: