[PD] problem with GEM 0.90 on win2k

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Thu Jul 1 04:01:29 CEST 2004

On Jun 30, 2004, at 4:28 PM, rainer _ wrote:

>>> what does incredibly slow mean to you:
>
> not even heavy videoprocessing, just playing back a uncompressed avi
> 720x576. it's 10 or maybe 20% of the speed with gem0.90 compared with
> gem0.87+CVS on the same comp. i've tried diffrent patches
> videoprocessing & openGL processing - all over the same: incredibly
> slow.

Uncompressed video can easily be hard disk limited.  A single stream on
a single 7200rpm IDE drive is fine, but more than that requires
dedicated media drives and RAID.  What sort of drive(s) do you have?
Also, do you have DMA enabled?  Windows has a history of disabling DMA
by default.

Perhaps the problem is texturing related.  I don't think GEM does
rectangle texturing on Windows so each frame uploads 1024x1024 frames
which eats bandwidth.  I'm not sure what the state of DMA texturing is
either, but maybe it can be forced through the drivers.

Check to see if the pd process is using all of the CPU or not.

> no other processes in background, excluding my personal firewall and
> windows system stuff.

Maybe you are sending 50,000 emails an hour?  Or perhaps video playback
triggers all the spyware logging?

> maybe it has something to do with the glut libs??

Unless you are making excessive use of the teapot then GLUT won't even
be called.

> no idea

Post a sample patch and a short avi clip for others to test.  This will
at least help narrow down the problem to your specific config or reveal
a larger problem.

cgc