[PD] problem with GEM 0.90 on win2k

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jul 1 08:19:10 CEST 2004

chris clepper wrote:

>> not even heavy videoprocessing, just playing back a uncompressed avi

the question was rather: do the problems occur in pix_ objects (or in
conjunction with them) or not.

and are there performance issues when *only* using openGL (no pix at all)?

> Uncompressed video can easily be hard disk limited.  A single stream on
> a single 7200rpm IDE drive is fine, but more than that requires

but this wouldn't explain why it runs on gem-0.87...

> Perhaps the problem is texturing related.  I don't think GEM does
> rectangle texturing on Windows so each frame uploads 1024x1024 frames
> which eats bandwidth.  I'm not sure what the state of DMA texturing is
> either, but maybe it can be forced through the drivers.

unfortunately i really don't know what the actual gem-0.90.0-build for
windows has been.
i have definitely done one windos-build with rectangle-textures enabled
(for supported hw, like nvidia), and i do believe it is the one that i
have put online.

but probably it is a good idea to send [mode 1/0( messages to the
[pix_texture] (turning on/off rectangle textures) to see if something
changes

> Maybe you are sending 50,000 emails an hour?  Or perhaps video playback
> triggers all the spyware logging?
;-)

>> maybe it has something to do with the glut libs??
>

> Unless you are making excessive use of the teapot then GLUT won't even
> be called.

GLUT will never be called in 0.90 as it has been completely removed (the
teapot-code has been copied to solve the problem with rectangle-textures...)

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes