[PD] Memento-ifying

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jul 2 12:44:49 CEST 2004

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> Frank B - I am taking some time off tongiht to convert a bunch of GOP
> patches I've made over to your memento/rradical system. I haven't used
> OSC or memento before, and i'm just wondering before I launch into it if
> you have any suggestions for simple patches of your own I should look at
> for examples. Any other advice for learning how the system works?

Hey, great to hear this. You'll see, that converting patches is really
easy. The two best ways to learn the system are: the
Memento-Tutorial-Patches and the paper I wrote for the Linux Audio
Conference. It's inside the CVS, but also online here:
http://footils.org/cms/sql/show/1 (URL might change!)

I would recommend reading the text first, it's newer and more verbose.
An easy way to start new patches is to copy the rrad.tpl.pd template
to another name and then change this.

There aren't many "rules" for rradical patches yet. One is, that the
first patch argument is reserved. It is used as OSC-identifier inside.
That means, that your patches should include a [originator $1 $0]
object - as it is already set up inside rrad.tpl

The other rule is that the right-most inlet and outlet should be
connected to the originator's rightmist in- rsp. outlets. Those are
the xlets, that accept or send OSC-messages.

Do whatever you need to with the other arguments and inlets/outlets.

You don't need to know anything about OSC as all the setting up of OSC
variables is done automatically by using originator and commun-objetcs
as described in the paper.

rrad.tpl.pd is a good place to start understanding rradical, as is
rrad.minipli. rrad.pattseq is the other end: very complicated...

If you have questions: well, you know I'm here. ;)

Ciao