[PD] audio glitch/pause while redrawing array

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sun Jul 4 13:56:05 CEST 2004

> I have searched the list archives but not exactly found any answer to
> this question.  I'm running OSX with the 0.37.1 installer from Hans.
> I have a patch which uses the xsample stuff to record real-time audio
> coming in from the adc~, which records the data into an array.
> Whenever the array display is redrawn (whether with an explicit [draw(
> msg to xrecord~, or just automatically by xrecord when recording
> stops), there is a noticeable pause/glitch any sound playback which is
> going on.  It seems that the source of the problem is the redraw on
> screen of the array.
this is a quite known problem ... and the only workaround is, as pix
mentioned, to hide the arrays in |table|s.
the kernel/gui communication of pd has the problem that the gui socket
is running in the same thread as the dsp, there is a patch for that on
the cvs (devel_0_37 branch) that's using a low priority thread for the
pd/gui communication (you would have to recompile pd yourself). i _have_
to run this to be able to run my graphic heavy patch without clicks.
(it's also recommended to run in with -rt)
but iirc guenther mentioned, that the gui communication is not the only
problem of slow array redraws.
since mathieu was working on the gui code on the impd branch, i'd like
to know, if he was looking at that part of the gui code...
btw, mathieu i haven't read anything about impd on the lists for some
time... what's it's current state?

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783