[PD] GEM hardware compatibility information

Tom Schouten doelie at zzz.kotnet.org
Mon Jul 5 15:12:26 CEST 2004

i might add to the confusion a bit..
there is something going on with opengl, threads and RT scheduling. i've
been chasing the problem for quite a while but i can't find what it is..

the only relyable way i found to work around the problem is to initialize
gl (talking about the glut thing in wvvw) in a non-rt thread, which is
explicitly started with SCHED_OTHER, and synchronize using condition
variables, effectively stopping the rt thread until the initialization is
done.

now, this works for gl running non-RT in an otherwize RT program. for gl
in RT thread, there seems to be something really wrong.

i haven't tried this, but maybe it would work to disable RT scheduling
temporarily, initialize all gl things, and enable RT again.

anyway, this smells.