[PD] audio glitch/pause while redrawing array

david daniell m at tinynumbers.com
Mon Jul 5 17:16:06 CEST 2004

Ok so I understand why the redrawing of arrays is so slow.... it seems
like there's no data reduction in the redraw process, so for instance
if I have an array that's 10 seconds long @ 44100 hz, it runs through
all 441,000 data points in the rendering of the array on-screen.  So,
of course there's a slow-down for that.  But is there any way to impose
some sort of data-reduction in the visual rendering of the arrays?

As an example, if I have 3 one-second arrays on screen being redrawn
every 500 ms, there is no noticeable glitching etc - but for 3
10-second arrays, there's a very clear interruption in the audio-stream
when the redraws occur.  So perhaps there would be some way to modify
the array-drawing code to skip samples in the drawing process and only
the minimum required to display the data?

If nothing else, maybe this would be a suggestion for the GUI
speed-improvements....

- dwd