[PD] audio glitch/pause while redrawing array

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Mon Jul 5 19:58:51 CEST 2004

Well, this is probably the largest item on my "dolist" -- but it's bigger than
just arrays: in general, some kind of flow control mechanism is needed to
protect against Pd flooding the GUI with updates.

In theory at least, the GUI process can handle large, atomic updates like
redrawing an entire array without disrupting Pd; the main catch is that if Pd
throws too many of these at the GUI then Pd itself can stall waiting for the
GUI to catch up to it.

Then there's the question of how to draw very large (100,000+ points) arrays
meaningfully without having to examine every single point.  I'm leaning
toward just doing a monte carlo hack for that: look at up to 10,000 points
at pseudo-random somehow.

cheers
Miller